When it comes to weight loss, customers are always looking for helpful hints and tips to support and bolster success of their new diets and lifestyle moderations. Several industry members “weigh” in by giving their favorite top three tips.
Dr. Cass Ingram, nutritional physician for Illinois-based North American Herb and Spice
• Cut out refined sugar, eliminate white flour and white rice avoid GMOs and refined veggie oils.
• Consume pulverized red sour grapes and cumin.
• Balance adrenal stress with a high-grade jelly supplement and take oil of black seed every morning.
Jennifer Weinhardt, BS, MS, research and development specialist, Texas-based Bluebonnet Nutrition
• Drinking lots of water. The Institute of Medicine recommends around 11 cups of water daily that can come from a basic glass of tap water, to a cup of tea, to the water content of the foods you eat (which, the IOM estimates, makes up about one-fifth of your daily fluid intake).
• Getting up and moving every day. The IOM recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity activity each day.
• Eating a balanced diet. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends eating a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, healthy fats and lean protein throughout the day while maintaining proper portion control.
David Foreman, RPh, “The Herbal Pharmacist”
• Use a gentle cleanse during the weight-loss program. A change in eating habits and activity levels may produce more toxins. Gentle cleanses will also help with elimination of excess waste in the bowel, which contributes to bloating.
• Drink mostly water. Every time your customer feels hungry, advise drinking a glass of water (pint) and wait 10 minutes before eating something.
• Keep easy, ready-to-eat, healthy snacks nearby at all times: nuts, seeds, dried fruits, carrots, celery sticks, etc. These can even be purchased already made up and easily put into Ziploc bags for portability.
Jeff Brucker, vice president of marketing, Genesis Today, Texas
• Avoid the “one-size fits all” approach by recommending that latest flavor-of-the- month weight-loss ingredient.
• Recommend products that will address multiple pathways (holistic approach)
• Explain to customers how a particular product can complement the whole-foods they are consuming so they understand the synergy and importance of using consistently at the recommended dosage.