Once Again Nut Butter (New York) has announced it’s been awarded the HowGood Certified Sustainability Leader 2017 after receiving the “Best in the World” award in 2016. The Sustainability Leader 2017 award signifies Once Again Nut Butter’s ranking among the top 15 percent of HowGood’s database of sustainable food and beverage products.
Moreover, the Sustainability Leader award recognizes Once Again Nut Butter’s diverse and holistic approach to sustainability and social responsibility, including the absence of high-risk commodities across the product line. The employee-owned company’s stewardship program includes initiatives such as:
- Donations to over 160 charities a year with between 6 and 8 percent of net profits.
- Development of 13 worker cooperatives in Nicaragua that now represents over local 2,000 farmers.
- Stringent supply chain monitoring.
- Support for organic and sustainable farming practices, fair pay and economic development among global suppliers and their communities.
- Partnerships to support bee farm sustainability and help prevent colony collapse disorder.
“Since day one, the prosperity of our people, the quality of our products and the health of the planet have been our top priorities,” said Bob Gelser, general manager and president of Once Again Nut Butter. “It’s inspiring that the majority of global consumers now prefer brands that are socially responsible, but with so many options on store shelves, it can be overwhelming to select the best product. This is why we’re proud to be distinguished by HowGood and hope more retailers will provide its ratings as a guide for shoppers.”
HowGood owns the largest database of sustainable food and beverages in the world and has reviewed close to 300,000 products to identify the brands that meet superior standards. The organization rates products based on over 60 metrics that include growing guidelines, processing practices, company conduct and more. The ratings are available in 27 states but have inspired the sales of 135 million products.
For more information, visit www.onceagainnutbutter.com.